Japanese Exchange Program 2014

DSCF6859DSCF6867DSCF6916DSCF6921DSCF6925DSCF7003DSCF6805DSCF6827DSCF6841DSCF6634

Seaford Secondary College welcomes our guests from Japan. We hope you enjoy our hospitality, and learn about life in Adelaide, South Australia.DSCF6553DSCF7001DSCF6642DSCF6622DSCF6624DSCF6653DSCF6694DSCF6704DSCF6723DSCF6741DSCF6781DSCF6792

Domo Arigato Kyoto!

It’s 4:00am on Sunday 3rd August. It’s cold. Extremely cold. I can’t help but feel a little sorry for the 19 Japanese students from Kyoto, their escort tour Teacher Kie Nakai, and the two teachers from the Kyoto Board of Education- Yasuko Sato and Tomoko Matano arriving here after leaving the terribly humid summer weather of Japan. As I enter the airport I spot Mr Fry also waiting, and shortly after a quick double shot latte, the students walk into the arrivals area at 5:30am. They are bleary eyed, exhausted and have little idea of the adventure to come.

We board the bus, and head to school where Ms Green has had bacon and eggs cooking for our fantastic 20 host families since 7am. The formalities are taken care of, and at around 8am, the students and their newly acquainted hosts leave for the place that they will call home for the next two weeks…

Seaford Secondary College are extremely proud to have had the opportunity to host these 19 amazing students from across Kyoto. In the two weeks they have been with us, they have crammed in as many Australian and ‘Adelaidian’ experiences that we could muster.

On Thursday 7th August, they went on an excursion to the city, Central Market, Museum and Rundle Mall with their buddies (host family and volunteer students from across the school). On Tuesday 12th they visited Flinders University and participated in a Robotics and Marine Biology class, and on Thursday 14th they ventured to Cleland Wildlife Park to fulfil that life-long dream of holding a Koala. They have also managed to cook an Aussie BBQ (sampling some fine Kangaroo steaks), play beach cricket, learn to kick a footy, research Aussie culture and icons, cook ANZAC biscuits and participate in a range of lessons including HPE, Chemistry, Physics, Multimedia Studies, Health, Music, Drama, Design, Food and Nutrition and Volleyball. One of the highlights for some of our lucky students was to have the Kyoto students come into our Japanese classes, where they could practice their Japanese and talk about the similarities and differences in our cultures. Many friendships have been made, and most will last for years to come.

Two fantastic teachers supported the Japanese students throughout their journey: Ms Lewis and Mr Kirk. I would like to sincerely thank Ms Lewis and Mr Kirk for their ESL lessons and providing the students with these fantastic cultural learning experiences. I would also like to thank the amazing staff who hosted the students in their class and gave them a taste of our schooling system and curriculum. All of the students told me how much they enjoyed each of the classes, and how friendly the staff and students of our school are.

Perhaps the most humbling and proud part of this Study Tour for myself are the amazing ‘buddies’ for these students. The buddies were each assigned a Japanese student to socialise with during lesson breaks, take them to their classes, and make them feel comfortable at our school. Some buddies were the host families of the students, while others were keen students who wanted to help out a fellow student and support them during their stay. They all did an amazing job, encouraging and developing the students with their English proficiency, and providing them with a true friend in what can be a very nervous and lonely time for any International Student. I would like to personally say a huge “Arigato Gozaimashita” to our amazing buddies Tessa, Natalia, Sophia, Summa and Stacey from C08, Taylor from C07, Patrick from D04, Jaycob from B19, Sam, Sarah, Jazmin, Laura and Matt from 1001, Isabella from 1002, Tori from 1004, Brooke from 1005, Kaylen, Jazzy and Courtney from 1006, William from 1106, Claire from 1201 and Jasmine from 1202. These students have been fantastic ambassadors for our School and made some really good friends – we really appreciate everything you all have done to make their trip unforgettable!

To the incredible host families who have very kindly opened up their home for these students, thank you all very much. Each of the students mentioned how hospitable you all were, and how much fun they had in your care- special mention to the amazing teachers who also hosted a student!!IMG_0047

I would also like to recognise the incredible work of our amazing International team here at Seaford Secondary College: Mrs Sandra Greenan, Miss Hannah Webb and Mr Matt Fry who have worked extremely hard behind the scenes to make this a most successful trip. Thank you all very much as well.

Having the Japanese students here has been a fantastic experience for our staff, students and community. The benefits of Intercultural understanding and establishing connections among a global community underpin our beliefs as an International Baccalaureate school. Through these experiences students learn to understand and appreciate different cultures, as well as their own. They see the world as connected and accessible, culturally diverse yet intrinsically the same.

The opportunities to host an International student, or even be one, will continue to arise here at Seaford Secondary College. I would like to encourage any student who is curious about becoming an International student and studying abroad to give it a go. Who knows….you might make 30 new Facebook friends, and learn a little about yourself and the world too.

Arigato.2

Mr Pearce

International Program Coordinator

Who were these students?

Our amazing Japanese students from Kyoto:

Wataru Harada, Momoyama High School                          Kazuki Morimoto, Higashimaizuru High School

Taishi Morita, Nishiotsu High School                                  Hatsune Mita, Mineyama High School

Rei Tatsumi, Sagano High School                                         Haruka Nakatsuji, Joyo High School

Kumi Nagatani, Kizu High School                                         Tomoe Ito, Sagano High School

Miki Tsuboi, Nanyo High School                                            Mayuka Noguchi, Momoyama High School

Momiji Nonogaki, Ayabe High School                                   Hinata Tsuruo, Kameoka High School

Rina Tsuruta,  Kohyo High School                                          Yuika Yoneda, Fukuchiyama High School

Asami Yamamoto, Rakuhoku High School                            Erika Ozawa, Nanyo High School

Hinako Tomita, Todoh High School                                        Ryoko Mitsuhashi, Sagano High School

Nanami Nishikawa, Jyonanryoso High School

What was it like to be one of the Japanese Exchange students?

This is a report from a young man, Wataru Harada of Momoyama High School.

“It took for a day to arrive at Australia. I was nervous because this is the first time to visit abroad. But, more than I expected, Australia is very interesting. We have done a lot, Aussie BBQ, go to the Adelaide City, throw boomerangs, play cricket and Australian Football, go to a beautiful beach and so on. We are also going to the Cleland Wildlife Park. I’m very looking forward to going to the park.”

These are some excerpts from some of the other students describing their experiences with their host families.

I went to Glenelg Beach. I went with my host family and my Japanese friend, Rei. It was a very beautiful view. After that we ate fish and chips and strawberry icecream.

Wataru Harada – Momoyama High School

I went to a beach with my host family. I saw three dolphins. It’s so beautiful. I played cricket on the sand. I bowled and batted and I also caught Jacob out.

Kazuki Morimoto – Higashi Maizuru High School

I have visited Victor Harbor and I saw a lot of animals. I ate a big hamburger. It tasted nice.

Tomita Himako – Todah High School

I have visited the Big Rocking Horse and the Toy Factory with my host mother on Saturday. It was really big and the small horse was cute. I took some pictures of them. After that we had a picnic. We also have visited the chocolate factory.

Asami Yamamoto – Rakuhoku High School

On Saturday night I went to the footy with my host father and his friend. The stadium was filled with a lot of people. I ate a meat pie and a hot dog. The game was very exciting. The Power lost the game but I was glad to see Austraian Rules Football. They call it footy.

Rei Tatsumi –  Sagano High School

Victor Harbor Beach is very beautiful and I think I want to swim in the beach, but it is very cold. Oh my gosh!!!!

Taishi Morita – Nishiotokuni High School

I have visited Cleland Wildlife Park. I saw a lot of animals. For example, kangaroo, emu, wombat and more. I fed the kangaroos and I touched the koala. They were very cute! I wound the snake around my neck. I was a little scared but it became a good experience for me.

Tomoe Ito – Sagano High School

I have visited Victor Harbor and I saw the old train. I ate fish and chips. I watched many penguins.

Momiji Nonogaki – Ayabe High School

I have visited a friend’s house and I saw a beautiful view. I went for a ride in a car. I ate marshmallows. I had a BBQ. I saw a kangaroo while we were driving.

Kumi Nagatani – Kizu High School

I went to the Chinatown with my host family. I listened to the music of the aborigine. I ate a bok choy. It was nice. I watched a whale at the beach. I was really excited.

Tsuboi Miki – Nanyo High School

Miki, Jen, Sean and I went to a Wildlife Park on Saturday. We gave the Kangaroos some food. Then we watched a whale in the ocean. We were very lucky. It was fun last weekend.

Rina Tsuruta – Kouyou High School

I have visited the Central Market. I saw a lot of vegetables. There were many people. I walked with my buddy and Mayuka and her buddy. We chose gifts for our families.

Yuika Yoneda – Fukuchiyama High School

I went to the Cleland Wildlife Park. There were a lot of kangaroos. They were very pretty. I fed them. I also touched a koala. I bought souvenirs for my family and my host family bought me souvenirs, so I was very happy. Then I went to Victor Harbor and I rode the tram. That view was good. I enjoyed this weekend.

Ryoko Mitsuhashi – Sagano High School

On the weekend my family took me to the Cleland Wildlife Park. I met a dingo at first. I gave the dingo some food. I touched a koala. His name is Jozi. He is very soft and cute.

Erika Ozawa – Nanyo High School

We look forward to next year when we again act as hosts to another set of delightful Japanese students!

4 Comments

4 thoughts on “Japanese Exchange Program 2014

1. This sounds like these students were thoroughly immersed in the Aussie experience, and really appreciated and made the most of their opportunities!

2. What a wonderful experience we had hosting Rina. It was amazing to share her ‘first time’ experiences that we often take for granted. She was amazed as we drove past cows, llamas, sheep, rabbits, horses and a kangaroo. She was delighted when she could tell my dogs to sit and give them a treat. First time she had fed a dog by hand.
    She loved fishing off the Jetty, braved the cold, and caught a couple of tommy ruffs.
    Rina, like all of the Japanese students I met, came with an incredible sense of adventure and welcomed every new experience with open arms. It was a fantastic opportunity to meet someone with a very different background to me, and it was great to hear her English improve every day. We had so much fun.

3. What an amazing two weeks. It was so good to watch the confidence and language skills of our Japanese visitors grow during their visit. I loved watching our students get to know the Japanese students and bond with them. It was great also watching our teaching staff, particularly those hosting, delight in sharing adventures with them. Congratulations to Adam, Matt, Sandra and Hannah on the excellent work you did to enable this visit to be so successful. Thank you!